The Sanborn Covered Bridge will belong to the town.

The Sanborn Covered Bridge will belong to the town. The Select Board on Monday entered into a purchase-and-sale agreement with Arthur and Jeanne Elliott to buy the historic bridge and 1.5 acres of abutting land for $10,000. It was approved by a 3-0 vote. The acquisition brings all five of Lyndon’s covered bridges under town ownership and allows the town to proceed with plans to turn the bridges into tourist attractions and cultural hubs. The Sanborn Bridge will be key to those efforts. Located downtown and closed to traffic, it can be paired with parking, retail, tourism info, community events, and pedestrian amenities. Built around 1870, the Sanborn Bridge is the last of the Paddleford truss bridges that once crossed the Passumpsic River. The others were destroyed by the 1927 flood. Formerly known as the Centre Bridge, it once connected Lyndonville and Lyndon Center. It was taken out of service in 1960 and moved one mile to its current location near the Route 5/114/122 intersection. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The Sanborn Bridge nearly fell into the river a decade ago but was saved by emergency repairs in 2013. Lyndon has already secured $100,000 in grant funding through the Preservation Trust of Vermont to support major bridge repairs. The town will seek additional funds through federal and state sources, including the USDA Rural Business Development Grant program, to cover the estimated $1.3 million cost for bridge and abutment reconstruction.

Photo credit: