As a national awareness campaign rolls out, a local fire chief who serves as president of the Twin State Fire Mutual Aid Association is warning of the fire risks of lithium-ion batteries, which are found in a growing number of common devices. Locally, they have caused some fire incidents, Sugar Hill Fire Chief Allan Clark said Wednesday. It wasn’t too long ago when the issue wasn’t on the radar of local fire service leaders. “We’re starting to pay attention to these fires and are doing some research,” said Clark. “It’s a new hazard we didn’t face before.” One of the best pieces of advice is to avoid the cheap route. The problem appears to be not so much with the original battery and charger from the manufacturer, but with cheaper-made batteries and chargers that are bought as replacements and didn’t come as part of the device, said Clark.
- The Labor Department reported that unemployment continued to drop in the Northeast Kingdom
- A 17-year-old is in the hospital with life threatening injuries