The Vermont Department of Health is investigating

The Vermont Department of Health is investigating after two people were infected with listeria, and officials say it may be linked to a Vermont grocery store. Right now, officials say the link appears to be the Shaw’s in Montpelier. The deli shelves there were empty on Thursday. A health care facility contacted state health officials after a patient was found with a listeria infection in January. The bacteria was an exact match to a second patient in February. The investigation found both had eaten food from the Montpelier Shaw’s deli, but it’s still not clear whether that’s where the bacteria came from. Health officials believe this is a contained incident. “We don’t have any reason to believe that there is ongoing exposure occurring,” said Natalie Kwit, an epidemiologist with the Vermont Health Department.

The lab results of whether or not the bacteria came from Shaw’s will be released Friday or early next week.